Wednesday, June 11, 2008

2. Hood Ornament


Washington, D.C. 6:30 pm

When I think of Jaguar cars, I think of metrosexual middle-aged corporate vice presidents and their bleached blonde mistresses. Expensive but pedestrian, and somewhat predictable. I'm surprised at how aggressive the Jaguar logo is up close. You can even see the pointy fangs! It's weird that a luxury car brands itself with such a violent image -- I fear for the defenseless Ford Taurus parked mere inches away.

I like all the reflective surfaces competing with each other -- the houses and the cat in the hood of the car, the taillights of the Taurus bouncing off the front of the cat. I can't decide if I mind that the hood ornament needs a polish. I'm a fan of imperfection, and I wasn't trying to photograph a Jaguar ad here. On the other hand, my senses of symmetry and perfection just want shiny smooth surfaces from this little hunk of metal.

No comments: